High Sierra Rider

Janet Titus and Equine Connections

Communicating Through Body Language

In this video I'm talking with Coffee Bean through body language. Once she understands my body language she will start to understand that I'm asking questions and she needs to figure out the anwers. I will only give her the release of pressure when she gets the right answer. It's that simple. Black and white. No grey. For example, I wanted her to step up onto a log. Her response was to try and step left, then she tried to step right. I blocked both moves. Then she tried to step backwards thinking maybe that was what I wanted. I put a feel on the rope to say 'wrong again'. Now, the only thing she hadn't tried was to come forward and step onto the log. Yahoo! She got it right. She stepped up on to the log. Big praise! Good girl. Lots of love. She knows when I'm happy with her.

When I'm sending her around the pen I'm communicating through my body language. I'm putting pressure on and taking pressure off. She lives for that release. Once she understands that this is a game then she will always try to figure out the solution to the puzzle. The more she understands the better we communicate and soon it becomes the most amazing relationship one could ever dream of.


0 comments: