High Sierra Rider

Janet Titus and Equine Connections

Building Confidence and Trust

The sweet girl, Coffee Bean
Her name is Coffee Bean and her show name is going to be "Starbucks." She has a perfect little star on her forehead and she has a little buck in her, so I think it's quite appropriate. We picked her up in Ridgecrest, California on January 25. She comes from the Calico herd in Nevada. She's four years old. She came from the same mountain range as my last mustang from, and he's my favorite horse of all time, so I'm hoping she's going to have some of those wonderful qaulities. When BLM loaded her into the trailer I knew she engaged the thinking side of her brain. She looked into the trailer and rather than leaping in, she put her nose down, took a good look and carefully stepped in. Wow! Much different already than the other three mustangs that I had trained for the other challenges. They were geldings and this is a mare. She is really sweet. She hasn't tried to kick, bite or strike at me. She is smart too. I'm trying to teach her two new things everyday. It could be as simple as walking from left side to right side or running my hand down her leg or brushing her. These are new things to her so I want to build confidence without fear. She now knows that everyday its something new, and looks forward to the challenge. I also like to give her a new toy everday. I'm not saying like a stuffed animal or anything. I'm talking about something that humans have around. It could be a cone, or brush, or my ropes that I use, or the plastic water bottle that I drank out of that day. She looks forward to the new item that she can explore and play with that night. Keeping her curiosity is very important to me. She's already trusting me and I look forward to sharing each new day with her.

1 comments:

Janet We need help with a rescue horse we bought 2 1/2 years ago. He is a 8 year old green horse and we need to start from the beginning. He has had alittle work done with him but trust and fear is there. We heard you are great with horses and we would like to get him into some formal training so we can eventually ride him. We keep him at Bishop Saddle Club and would like to talk with you about training.