High Sierra Rider

Janet Titus and Equine Connections

Saying Goodbye Is Never Easy



Note:
This video is about two months into training. Hopefully I'll have one more
video up before the competition showing our most current progress.


My Dearest Poster Boy,

The time is drawing closer to our competition. Only one more week. I can't believe it's been almost three months since Michelle and I went down to Ridgecrest to bring you home. You have changed from a rangy, scared, defensive, unbroke wild horse into a beautiful mustang with tons of muscle tone, and amazing bravery. You are now the color of a new shiny copper penny. And you love to be out with me.

You are always willing to work and you meet me at the gate ready to go. I have put you through so much in such a short time, but you have always been willing to follow my lead no matter what is asked of you. I have been trying to figure out what your strongest assets are. You are good at everything I show you. I really think you like being out on he trail.

I especially enjoyed sitting in the tall wheat grass that we would stop in on our long rides. I would get off and just sit on a rock and watch you eat with your eyes closed. watching you and the tall grass blowing in the wind reminded me of when I was a young girl. I would just sit and watch my horse eat for hours with not a care in the world.

The ride we took yesterday evening was truly memorable for me. Riding into the Tungsten Hills, the sun was just setting and the hills were lit up with a dusky glow. The evening snow flowers had opened up. You were so careful walking up and down the steep rocky hills. Thank you.

On the way home I enjoyed riding you through the campground, talking to the people camping. It was a great experience going past all the tents and campfires. I know that these kinds of rides make life more enjoyable for you too.

There are going to be so many new experiences for you. I hope whoever gets you knows that you are the most amazing horse I have ever worked with. I love you so much and I prayed that whoever adopts you realizes your potential and doesn’t let you sit around, but spends lots of time with you and loves you because you know how to love back.

Love always, your trainer and best friend,

Janet

4 comments:

Dear Janet,

Thanks for saving my life. I wasn't sure what was going on when I was loaded into that trailer and was scared when I came out in a new place but as soon as you walked up to me I knew you were my friend.

Right from the beginning I trusted you and you were very patient while I learned to understand your language, but sometimes it seemed as though you knew my language and I knew exactly what you were asking me to do. You helped me realize that things are not as scary as they seem.

There were times when I was lonely and I missed the friends I had made in my old home. Now I understand that the world is a lot bigger than I ever knew and there is much more to experience and enjoy. I've made lots of new friends in my new home but you are indeed my best friend of all.

You've allowed me to get back in touch with the habitat I was born in. And I also know the comfort of the ranch where I stay. The tricks you teach me are fun and the workouts you give me are invigorating.

Most of all I enjoy laying down on the hot sand in the warm sun and relaxing with you laying by my side. I never feel closer to you than when you lay on top of me and we sleep for a moment.

There is so much more I want to learn and I'm eager for the next time you come by with that sweet grain you always bring, because I know it means we have something new to try that day.

Thank you so much for your kindness and your unconditional love. You are truly wonderful and I'm blessed to know you.

Love,

Poster Boy

 

Janet,
Your post about Poster Boy and about him being the best horse ever...that made me cry. Watching you train the horse through the internet, and through person has been life changing for me, not only because he is a changed horse so quickly, but because you can see it in his eyes, the way he looks at you when you lay him down, the way that he trys to do anything you ask, because he trusts you. Janet, i know that he cares about you soooo much, and by the way that you look at him, you care about him even more. I fell in love with him after one day of being with him. And i know that he will be greatly missed, by you and me. I love you Janet, and i know he does too.

Try to figure out who sent this to you, (hint, you often call me a brat)

 

This horse and Janet has taught everyone around her to step up and better ourselfs and our relationships with our own horses. Since we picked him up , I knew he was something special and they would do great things together! As we all watch and support them both in the last week we have mixed emotions, just like Poster Boy and Janet, what ever happens we are very proud of both of them and wish them well. Janet is in our hearts at Millpond, you have already WON! Love you Michelle

 

So awesome, Janet.... you are really an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing this experience.